Saturday 10 September 2011

Energy and Movement

Sorry I haven't posted in ages, it's a bit hectic around here ( no excuse I know).

The week just ended was my first week back at school , and I practically ran the 10 minute journey to school because I was so excited. I know what you're thinking , it's not normal to want to go back to that treacherous place , but for me , it is. The truth is , I Love School. I Love the sleep-inducing maths lessons and the smell of textbooks that have been locked in a  cupboard for 6 weeks. I Love the running around trying to figure out where your new History classroom is and then realising it's in the same place as last year. And the thing I Love the most , is going back to Art lessons. This year , however, was extra exciting, because I get to start my GCSE Art course. For those of you living outside the UK , GCSE stands for General Certificate of Secondary Education. They're basically qualifications that most people get when leaving school.
       So , the second the bell went to signify 4th period , I jumped out of my chair in French and skipped along the corridor to my new Art room. It was in that room that I discovered our first topic of the course was ' Energy and Movement' . At first , I was a bit annoyed. Energy and Movement is a very graphic topic , and I am more of a Surrealist/Rococo artist myself. However , I soon found myself changing my mind.

The first thing our Art Teacher made us do ( after a brief summary of the course ) was cut out a square from a black piece of paper he gave us , and stick it on a white piece of paper that he also handed out. Then , we had to draw a straight black line from one edge of the white paper to another. When we were all finished , he lined up the pieces of paper in the middle of a table , and let us all compare each others work. It was so interesting to see how a group of 25 people all had completely different interpretations and results from the same task.  Some had put the square right in the middle of the page , and others had placed it off the edge. Some squares were barely visible , and others were so big that you could hardly see any of the white paper underneath.

    We carried on doing this with different sheets of paper , but each time adding in a new rule , shape or colour. As we progressed , an increasing number of people began to break or bend the rules , including myself. For example , on my second sheet , I cut the square in to smaller pieces and then stuck it down so it gave a 'shattered' effect. I did the same on my third , but this time with a red square shattered on top of a black one .  The designs get more complicated each time. Here is an attempt I made but really didn't like :



I'm really glad we did this exercise , it was a really interesting pyschological test and a great introduction to the topic.

Try it yourself at home . There are a few examples of ones you cand do below. All of the shapes have to be geometric , and all of the lines have to be straight , and touching two edges or corners.

  • 1 black square , 1 black line
  • 1 black square , 2 black lines
  • 2 squares , one black one coloured. 2 black lines
  • 2 squares , one black one coloured. One black line , one coloured line.
  • 3 geometric shapes , at least one black. One black line
  • 3 geometric shapes , at least one black. Two black lines
  • 3 geometric shapes , at least one black. Three black lines
  • 3 geometric shapes , any colour , three lines , any colour
  • Unlimited shapes , unlimited lines , unlimited colours.
We did them on small white squares, but you could do a larger scale piece if you preffered.

Have fun !

Peace , Love and Golden Raspberries
Moosiah
♥ ♫ :)
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts !♥